Recognized for loose impressionistic paintings abundant with color and paint, Lynn Mehta is an award-winning artist living in Alexandria, Virginia. An artist since childhood, Mehta grew up along the Southern California coast, earned her B.A. in Art from San Diego State University, and has studied with internationally acclaimed artists. She is a Juried Artist Member of the Salmagundi Club and the Washington Society of Landscape Painters, and a Signature Member in the Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association and the American Society of Marine Artists.
Selected Events and Competitions
- 26th Annual Maritime Art Exhibition, Coos Art Museum, Oregon
- Los Gatos Plein Air, California
- Paint Annapolis
- East Beach Plein Air: 3rd Place
- Arts-on-Main Artist-in-Residency, 1 month, Gloucester, Virginia
- Salmagundi Club Annual Thumb Box Show, Certificate of Merit
- The Art League, Alexandria, VA, Honorable Mention
- Juror of Show: Great Falls Plein Air
- Tallinn en Plein Air Exhibition, Poska Villa, Tallinn, Estonia
- Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association: Signature Member Status Award
- Nautical Show, Salmagundi Club Honorable Mention
- Mountain Maryland Plein Air Juried Competition
- Parrsboro Plein Air, Quick Draw: Honorable Mention
- Paint Annapolis, Juried Artist, Quick Draw: 1st Place Juried & People’s Choice
- Paint Snow Hill, 1st Place Artist Choice
- East Beach Plein Air Invitational, Virginia Beach
- Rice Gallery of Fine Art 3rd Annual National Juried Plein Air Show, Honorable Mention
- American Society of Marine Artists, Signature Member Status Awarded
- American Society of Marine Artists, Invitational Show at Lyme Art Association
- Washington Society of Landscape Artists at The Atheneum, Alexandria, VA
- Hudson Valley Plein Air Festival, Honorable Mention & Best Nature Award
- Washington Society of Landscape Painters Annual Banquet, 3rd Place
- Art in the Open, Wexford, Ireland : Quick Draw Sponsor Award
- Mountain Maryland Plein Air Competition, Best Use of Light Award
- Gloucester Invitational, Juried Artist Quick Draw 2nd Place
- American Impressionist Society Inaugural Small Works Showcase Juried Exhibition, Randy Higbee Gallery, Costa Mesa, California
- BSSS Queen City Plein Air Festival: Best of Show
- Staunton Quick Draw Art Competition, 1st Place
- Women Painters of the Southeast Exhibition: 4th Place
- Finger Lakes Plein Air Competition
- Capitol Hill Art League Juried Exhibition, Hill Center Galleries. Juror’s Choice Award
- Los Gatos Plein Air, Silicon Valley, California
- 2-person Show: Yellow Barn Gallery, Glen Echo, Maryland
- 3-person Show: Ballard Gallery, Little Washington, Virginia
- American Impressionist Society 16th Annual National Juried Exhibition, Trailside Galleries, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 87th Grand National Exhibition, The American Artists Professional League, New York, NY: Materials Award
- Paint Annapolis, Best Painting Incorporating Water Award, Juried Artist Quick Draw 2nd Place
- Salmagundi Spring Auction Exhibition, Thomas Moran SCNY Award
- Piedmont Plein Aire Paint Out, North Carolina
- Salmagundi 106th Annual Thumb-Box Exhibition, Certificate of Merit
- Piedmont Plein Aire Paint Out, 3rd Place
- Bath County Plein Air Festival
- Plein Air Shenandoah Invitational
- 4-person show: Chesapeake Fine Art Studio, Kent Island, Maryland
- 28th Annual Invitational Oxford Fine Arts Fair, Maryland
- Paint Annapolis: 2nd Place
- Mattawoman Creek Art Center Juried Exhibit, Best of Show
- Paint Snow Hill, Artists Choice Award
- Solo Show: East Alcove Gallery, National Institute of HealthSmall Wonders National Juried Exhibit, Maryland Federation of Art, Juror’s Choice Award
- Easels in Frederick, Best Rural Landscape/Town Award
- Callaway Gardens Plein Air Competition, Georgia
- Hammonton, NJ 6th Annual Plein Air Competition, 1st Place
- April All-Media Exhibition, Capitol Hill Art League, 1st Place
- March All-Media Exhibition, Capitol Hill Art League, 1st Place
- Winter Member Exhibit, Maryland Federation of Art, Juror’s Choice Award
- Third Annual Plein Air Exhibition, Salmagundi Club, Open Box M Merit Award
- Art in the Open Plein Air Painting Event, Wexford, Ireland
- Plein Air Brandywine, Artist’s Choice for Best Artist Award
- Plein Air 757, Virginia Beach, Plein Air Magazine Merit Award
- Solo Show: VOLT Gallery, Artique Underground, Frederick, Maryland
- Solo Show of 80 works: Yellow Barn Gallery, Glen Echo, Maryland
- Solo Show: Meet-the-Artist at La Piccolo Roma, Maryland Federation of Art
- Cranford Plein Air Festival, New Jersey
- San Luis Obispo Plein Air, California
- The American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National Exhibition, New York, NY, John Collins Memorial Award
- Solo Show: East Gallery, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD
- San Luis Obispo Plein Air, California
- Mountain Maryland Plein Air
- Plein Air Brandywine Valley
- Chadds Ford Annual Winter Plein Air Paint Out
- Out and About Norfolk Plein Air Competition In The French Tradition Award
- “Strokes of Genius” National Show, Maryland Federation of Art, Caruso Award For Painting
- Solomons Paint the Town: Quick Draw Award, 2nd Place
- February All-Media Show. Capitol Hill Art League, Best Of ShowMembers’ Gallery,
- Solo Show: Fredericksburg Center for Creative Arts, VA.
- Out and About Plein Air Competition, Norfolk, Virginia
- Solo Show: Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts
- 2-person Show: Philip Carter Winery of Virginia, Hume, VA
- Mountain Maryland Plein Air Competition
- Solomons Plein Air Competition
- Artist-in-Residency, Arts on Main, Gloucester, VA, February 2019.
- Acadia National Park Artist Residency, May 2016.
- Community Residency, The Compact C-Scape Dune Shack, Cape Cod National Seashore, November 2011.
- Nimrod Hall Summer Arts Program for Artists, Bath County, VA. Summers 2008-12.
- San Diego State University, emphasis Environmental Design, B.A. Art
- workshops and classes with internationally acclaimed artist in the U.S. and abroad
- American Impressionist Society
- American Society of Marine Artists, Signature Member
- California Art Club, Pasadena, CA
- Maryland Federation of the Arts, Annapolis, MD
- Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association, Board Member, Signature Member
- Oil Painters of America, Juried Membership
- Salmagundi Club, New York, NY, Juried Membership
- The American Artists Professional League, New York, NY, Fellow
- Washington Society of Landscape Painters, Washington, DC, Juried Membership
Christian, Michelle Brosco. “Plein Air Painting: A Breath of Fresh Air.” Southern Maryland This Is Living 13.1 (2011): 27-29. Print.
Doherty, Steve. “Artist Profile: Structured ‘Messes’.” Plein Air Magazine, September 2016: pp. 48-52. Print.
Doherty, Steve. “Paint in New York City.” Outdoor Painter., 22 Sept. 2012. Web. 02 July 2013. <http://www.outdoorpainter.com/featured-events/paint-in-new-york-city.html>.
Fesperman, Will. “Plein air competition draws painters into the streets of Annapolis.”. The Baltimore Sun.
Web. 29 June 2014. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/anne-arundel/annapolis/bs-md-ar-paint-annapolis-20140629-story.html
Hiking Rough Terrain to Paint Spectacular Scenes” Outdoor Painter, 19 August 2013. https://www.outdoorpainter.com/hiking-rough-terrain-to-paint-spectacular-scenes/
“Lynn’s Landscapes.” The Free Lance-Star [Fredericksburg, VA] 3 Mar. 2011, Weekender sec.: 13. Print.
“Lynn Mehta Makes an Impression” Rapp News. Web. 9 January 2014. http://rappnews.com/2014/01/09/the-rapp-for-jan-9/
Magner, Jim. “Artist Profile: Lynn Mehta”. “Art and the City”. Hill Rag [Washington, DC] February 2016: 114-15. HillRag.com 02 March 2016. http://www.capitalcommunitynews.com/content/art-and-city-30
Pendleton, Gary. 100 Plein Air Painters of the Mid-Atlantic. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing, 2014. pp. 170-71.
Rameswaram, Sean. “Take a Hike.” “Art Beat” With Sean Rameswarem. WAMU 88.5 American University Radio. 5 May 2011. Radio.
Taylor, Sara K. “Making an Impression.” Maryland Independent 27 Apr. 2011, sec. B: 5. Print.
“Update Rail Trail Art.” Charles County Update. CCGTV. Cable Access Channel, La Plata, Maryland, 19 Apr. 2011. Charles County Government. Television. 9 June 2011. http://openstream.charlescounty.org/mediaVideoExternal.jsp?&file=/CC_updates/2011/Updaterailtrailart.mp4
Beverly Street Studio School, Staunton, VA:
“Using Color Studies for Bigger and Better Landscape Painting” – October 2018
Bigger and Better Landscape Painting”. February 2018.
Chesapeake Fine Art Studio, Stevensville, MD:
“Thursday Afternoon Classes” – October 2018.
Saturday Mornings with Lynn: Learn, Create, Explore”. January- March 2018.
Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Marbury, MD:
“Plein Air Workshop”. Identifying and translating elements of a scene that are inspiring for a successful plein air painting. June 2017.
“Bringing the Outdoors In”. Studio Workshop focusing on using memory, photographs, and outdoor sketches. May 2013.
“Landscape Painting from Photographs, Sketches and Memory”. March 2012.
Burgundy Farm Country Day School, Alexandria, VA
Art Program Head Summer Counselor 2003-2008.
Art Director After School Program . 2003-2008.
Live Painting Demonstration Include:
“Painting the Impressionist Landscape” MAPAPA demo, Exmore, VA, September 2017
MAPAPA Winter Plein Air Demo at Chesapeake Fine Art Studio, January 2017.
“Painting Sunsets Quickly Plein Air”, Oxford Fine Art Fine, 2012.